Saturday, April 18, 2009









UPLIFTED
By: Chris Snyder

One of the highlights to date has been our participation in the Home Based Care Program. HBC is one of the cornerstones of the treatment of HIV/AIDS in Malawi and many other African Countries. Many of the volunteers who go out by bicycle or foot to visit patients are themselves HIV positive. Pat, Caroline and Widit went by foot. Jim, Brian, Jackie, Penny, Patti, Maureen and I went by Bicycle. Penny has already given you her experiences…here is mine.

Our little entourage consisted of four volunteers and me including Rose, a widowed mother of a 2 ½ year old who has been on A.R.V.’s for about four years. The child does not have AIDS. I was given the best bike that came from Africycle an organization based in Uxbridge Ontario. I felt somewhat guilty accepting it however, I knew I would offend them if I did not ride it. I eventually offered it to Emmy who was struggling on another bike. Riding her bike which had a 24 inch wheel base was fine on the flats however I was forced to walk it up the hills. Our route went along red dirt roads, through fields of maze and small villages. We passed other riders, people carrying sugar cane on their heads, selling tomatoes and pumpkin on the road side, mothers and children with babies on their backs and oxen pulling carts often loaded with people.

We had several stops including one at the thatched roof home of a 46 year old widowed women who had a 10 year old son and a three year old grandson. Rose helped the fragile woman who had much trouble walking. We sat on a mat on the ground and discussed her situation. She earned no money but had a few chickens and goats that she could sell. Her brother was there but on crutches because of a leg deformity. There were also about 15-20 children who were curious about this stranger who had arrived in their village. The woman also had heart problems and has been on ARV’s for about two years. We checked her ARV’s which were made in India. I was asked if I wanted to take pictures. These people had never seen themselves in a picture. The giggles of all including the patient gave these people a lift at least for a short time. I will try to get them pictures.

The resilience of this woman was remarkable and I felt humbled and privileged to have been included in this women’s and her families lives. As we hopped on our bikes, surprisingly I felt energized and uplifted and I realized I had had a beautiful spiritual experience.

2 comments:

Snow said...

Hi dad! Your story is touching. I am happy to see that things are going well. It is sad to think that some of the women with such young children have HIV. It makes me want to promise these women that I will take care of their children.
Say Happy Belated Birthday to mom!

nadira said...

Hi Chris!!!What an adventure! You do such amazing work, I am proud to have a boss like you! See you back in the office.
Nadira