Saturday, January 17, 2009

Wheelbarrows and Needles

Our second day at the Tanzania sight started with the march up the hill (Baby Kilimanjaro) at 6 a.m.  Some of us climbed the hill while others slept.  I would have climbed but I somehow did not hear the 5 a.m. , 5:30 a.m. and 6 a.m. church bells next door.   However, everyone made it to the 7 a.m. breakfast ready for the half day of hard work scheduled for Saturdays.  


A team spent the day painting, another repaired desks, another repaired buildings and others prepared for the quilting lessons to start on Monday.  I had the best job today as I tried a few things.  I started by filling a wheel barrel with 4 100lb bags of white stuff needed to build the chimney and stove in the new kitchen in the vocational school.  Plus, carry metal framing.  It was quite an experience considering that anyone that knows me knows that I struggle with a 10lb bag of potatoes and not the straightest driver of a wheel barrel.  Halfway to the school the path became too narrow for the wheel barrow so we had to empty it and carry it for about 25 feet.  Unloading was so much fun in this heat but we made it.  Of course it was great that Sue and I were doing this together and not only is she very strong, but she knows how to handle a wheel barrow and can speak a little Swahili which probably enticed a child to helped us along.


After the first job I staggered in and started to sew patches for a quilt.  Those of you that know me please stop laughing as I will admit I am definitely not a seamstress or domesticated.  My sewing was pretty straight but I do not know how people have the patience to thread needles.  I was then asked to iron the seams of the squares which I think I did okay so I moved onto cutting up material.  What a domestic morning.


The others completed a lot of the painting, fixed numerous desks and completed the repairs required to one of the schools.  Overall, it was a productive morning.


Everyone had a relaxing afternoon and at 5 p.m, some of us climbed the hill for an evening view of Kilimanjaro. This is a hard one hour walk. Don’t let anyone tell you different.


Although we are not at a 5 star hotel and spend a lot of time working, it is wonderful that everyone is working well together and enjoying each others company.  In fact as I typed this, most of the others are playing new card games tonight, rules only known by a selective few, and there is a lot of laughter.


Ester Knight

4 comments:

Paul Knight said...

Esther.
I want to know why you do those chores while you're away, but those same sort of jobs always seem to end up on my honey do list!!!
Just kidding, it sounds like your getting involved in all sorts of jobs and that your enjoying your time in Tanzania.
We have had a great deal of snow since you guys left.
We miss you alot. Enjoy the remainder of your trip but stay safe.
All my love.

chris said...

Hello all
Great to hear your stories
You chose a good time to be away With windchill it has been -30
If you get too hot just think of the weather here
I will look forward to future stories cheers Chri Snyder

Sharon O'Neill said...

Greetings from frosty Canada,

Thank you for sharing the photo's, the Canadian flag was awesome.
It sounds like you are making great progress doing many assorted jobs.

Keep safe & healthy.....

cathy paradis said...

esther - meme says stick to cutting up the patches rather than sewing them i think thats your safest bet or shall we say their safest bet - rachelita is hoping you can find some sand in the hills of kilamanjaro or on your safari in africa to bring back to her collection - enjoy as we are enjoying your stories too =cathy